Wi-Fi tools I’m using on my Android

While 7Mbps 3G speeds are nice, Wi-Fi is even nicer. That’s why I try connecting to a Wi-Fi network whenever possible. It just makes things that much easier and smoother. Lately I’ve taken advantage of a number of Wi-Fi tools to make the experience even better. With all four of them combined I’ve been killing it with the browsing speed.

The first two apps we’ve already covered. They are Lookator and WeFi. Lookator is the sexier of the apps, since it uses Augmented Reality to place the source of Wi-Fi hotspots on your screen. I won’t lie: I’ve stood under someone’s apartment window and jacked their unsecured Wi-Fi. Why would they leave it unsecured in the first place? This also works well with WeFi, which is a hotspot database that already contains 74 million-plus hotspots. As I said when I first wrote about these, they’re permanently on my device.

Because I so greatly prefer Wi-Fi, I’d also prefer that my handset automatically detect a connection and set me up. That way I can retrieve my phone from my pocket and go nuts without having to actually connect. While I haven’t been able to find an app that will automatically connect me to an unsecured or public hotspot, I do have Wi-Fi Auto On. It will automatically connect me to hotspots I’ve already used. This goes well with public spots you often hit, such as the new hotspots in New York City. Just walking in the area will turn on Wi-Fi,which means I’ll be experiencing fast speeds right out of my pocket.

When I’m home I also want to use Wi-Fi, since I get only two bars of service inside my apartment. That made WiFi Automatic the perfect solution. It automatically turns on Wi-Fi when you connect your charger, and turns it off when you disconnect. Since my phone is charging nearly all the time at home, this makes complete sense. The only thing I wish it did was allow me to stay connected to my current hotspot until I leave it. Then it turns WiFi off. But hey, I’ll take what I can get for free.

All of these apps are available in the Market.
Source: andgeeks

Comments